CM Partners is one of New Zealand's leading independent boutique corporate and capital markets advisory firms providing a full range of services to small to medium New Zealand businesses.
Specialist independent capital markets advice
CM Partners prides itself on its independence.
It is impartial and not formally affiliated with, or bound to use, any other service providers. Its focus is on providing independent and objective corporate and capital markets advice and services in a cost effective way.Make an Enquiry
Corporate structuring and strategy guidance
We work with our clients to:
- Develop a practical capital raising strategy;
- Provide meaningful and frank assessments of enterprise value;
- Optimally structure and prepare our clients’ businesses for raising capital;
- Identify the best forum in which to raise capital;
- Assist with merger and acquisition opportunities,
- Provide valuation and research services;
- Establish best standard Governance practices;
- Offer ongoing support and mentoring.
Capital raising services
- Develop capital raising collateral and documentation;
- Identify the appropriate market sectors to raise new capital from;
- Leverage CM Partners’ networks of “high net worth” and institutional investors to raise new capital;
- Raise new capital from the private and public domains.
Assistance transitioning client companies to public markets
We assist our clients with:
- Assessing whether their business is appropriate for, and can sustain and support, a public market listing;
- Optimally structuring their business for listing on a recognised stock exchange in New Zealand and/or Australia;
- Securing key services for a public listing, including the recruitment of independent directors, auditors, legal advisors and other experts;
- Provision of corporate governance advice and structuring;
- Developing a pathway and plan to listing;
- Project management and implementation of the listing process;
- Facilitating listing on a recognised stock exchange via a range of alternatives, including an initial public offering, a compliance listing, or a reverse listing acquisition transaction;
- Post listing support and mentoring.
What makes CM Partners Different?
CM Partners prides itself on its independence. It is impartial and not formally affiliated with, or bound to use, any other service providers. Its focus is on providing independent and objective corporate and capital markets advice and services.
We have experience and expertise
The principals of CM Partners have vast experience in the New Zealand and Australian capital markets and since the early 1980’s, have been involved in various capacities in a significant number of:
- initial public offerings on the NZSX, NZAX and the ASX markets;
- public offers of debt and equity securities in Australasia;
- takeovers of listed companies;
- reverse listings of NZSX, NZAX and ASX listed companies;
- compliance listings on the NZAX and NXT markets;
In addition, the principals hold non-executive directorships on a number of publicly listed and private New Zealand companies.
We have extensive networks
The principals of CM Partners have extensive networks of associates and strategic partners which are able to be utilised to provide a full range of services to their clients, including relationships with leading stock broking firms, audit and accounting firms, legal firms, bankers, tax advisers, analysts, fund managers and private equity firms.
We offer a cost effective service
Given its cost effective structure, CM Partners can deliver outcomes for its clients within a budget that is commensurate with the market sector they are operating in.
CM Partners strives to develop enduring relationships with its clients, with a view that as its clients grow in size and maturity, so does the relationship that has been established.
You’ll have direct contact with principals
The two principals of CM Partners are Sean Joyce and Tim Preston. These are the people CM Partners’ clients will have access to and deal with for the duration of an engagement. The principals are conscious of developing a personal rapport with their clients based on trust, confidence and delivery.
We are focused on practical outcomes
One of CM Partner’s key objectives is to provide practical and effective capital markets advisory services to its clients in a timely and cost effective manner.
Critical to any engagement that it undertakes is to fully understand each client’s objectives and then implement a practical and attainable strategy to enable those outcomes to be achieved.
Sean Joyce is a corporate and commercial lawyer with over 20 years’ experience in the corporate sector. Sean holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from Auckland University.
Sean specialises in the corporate/commercial sector with a particular focus on the capital markets and securities laws – regulatory compliance, compliance listings, reverse listings, fund raising and offerings of various types of securities in New Zealand.
Sean has been involved in a large number of IPO’s, reverse listings and takeovers of listed companies in New Zealand and Australia. Sean is an accredited NZX Sponsor. Sean has facilitated the listing of a large number of small and medium sized companies onto the NZSX, NZAX and ASX markets.
He is also a non-executive director of a number of companies listed on the NZSX and NZAX markets, and a non-executive director of the largest early childcare provider in New Zealand.
Sean is a member of the Institute of Directors.
Tim Preston is currently a professional director and former stock broker who has held senior and executive roles at several large New Zealand investment firms and brokerages.
He has over 37 years’ experience as an analyst, advisor, sharebroker and director. He started broking in Christchurch in 1980 and became a partner in a private brokerage firm there in 1986. He then took up a role as Managing Director of ANZ McCaughan in Auckland in the early 1990’s and in 1999, joined ASB Bank to set up and establish its highly successful internet broking firm. He was Managing Director of ASB Securities since its inception until 2007 and was as an NZX Full Individual Member for 20 years.
Tim was a Foundation NZX Broker, a founding member of NZX Discipline, a founding member of the Securities Industry Association (SIA), is a Certified Finance and Investment Professional (CFIP) and is currently a director of a number of private and public New Zealand companies. He is a Chartered Member of the Institute of Directors and was a founding participant in Auckland University’s Hilary Leadership Course.
Tim is a member of the Harvard Business Review Advisory Council and Chairman of the New Zealand Multiple Sclerosis Research Trust.
- Corporate Governance Codes Compared →
- FMA Strategic Risk Outlook 2017 →
- FMA Corporate Governance Handbook →
- NCGF Corporate Governance Guidelines →
- FMA Going Public Directors Guide →
- FMCA Regulations amendments →
- Financial Markets Conduct Act 2013 →
- FMA Review of relevant interest and substantial holding disclosures →